Personal Umbrella Liability
What can a Personal Umbrella Liability Policy do for you?
World-Wide Coverage for Personal Actions:
Some underlying or primary policies may contain territorial limitations such as Canada and the continental U.S.A. An umbrella liability policy provides world-wide coverage for your personal actions.
Like the word “umbrella” suggests, this type of policy provides an over-arching layer of liability protection above the underlying or primary policy for your home, automobiles, watercraft and seasonal residence in the event that you are sued.
- some additional features are provided that are not normally included in a primary personal liability policy such as libel, slander, defamation of character, invasion of rights or privacy and false arrest
- Defence costs are covered when the umbrella liability is considered primary
- some limited coverage is provided if you are a Director on a Not-for-Profit board of directors
- the umbrella protection can “drop down” and “pick up” losses that may be excluded under your primary liability policy, or if your primary policy limits have been reduced or used up
Is a Personal Umbrella Liability policy for me?
- Do you travel extensively?
- Do you have a lot of assets at risk?
- Do you serve on the Board of Directors for a NFP organization?
- Would you be a ‘target’ because of who you are?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, a Personal Umbrella Liability Policy might be right for you!