Did You Know: It’s deer vehicle collision season!
We know you’re familiar with the deer crossing sign, but have you ever actually worried about a deer crossing the road?
Whether you hit a large animal or it jumps into the side of your vehicle, wildlife collisions can cause serious injuries and damages. The likelihood of a deer collision more than doubles in the fall months, the time of year when deers are mating, so it’s worth paying a little extra attention. No matter when you’re driving, its important to keep your eyes ahead and focus on the road so you’ll be ready to take action if you need to.
Here are some tips to help you stay safe on the roads:
- Slow down at dusk and dawn when light levels are low and animals are active.
- If you see a deer, assume there are more nearby.
- Take deer crossing signs seriously, they are strategically located in high wildlife use areas.
- Keep your high beams on when there’s no oncoming traffic.
- Drive defensively by actively scanning for animals on the road, in the ditch or on the shoulder.
When you do see wildlife on the road, it’s important to know what you should do. Here’s what we suggest:
- Honk your horn or use your lights to scare the animal off the road.
- Use your brakes, firmly and quickly.
- Don’t swerve unless it’s safe.
- Aim your vehicle for where the animal was coming from, not where it’s going.
- Keep your eyes on the road, not the animal.
- If a crash is inevitable, try to avoid hitting anything head on.
Unfortunately, collisions happen. In the event that you’ve been involved in a wildlife collision there are a few necessary steps you should take.
- Pull off the road and put on your hazard lights.
- Shine your headlights on an animal carcass that might pose a danger to other drivers.
- Do not approach an injured animal, they are dangerous.
- Report the problem, providing a clear description with as many details as possible.
If you collide with an animal or have other car trouble, our Emergency Roadside Assistance can get you back on the road quickly! Contact one of our agents today to enjoy the peace of mind in knowing you have help 24/7, wherever your vehicle takes you.